We need them to create hand-tied dressed hooks for our world-famous, fish-catching lures. We've tried hundreds of other natural and synthetic materials; bear hair, fox, coyote, badger, skunk, deer, even Angus cow, but nothing works as well as squirrel tail hair. We've been recycling squirrel tails for over half a century. In fact, we recycle more of them than anyone else in the world.
The fact is squirrel tails are all hair—no fur. Practically all other animals have fur tails with just a few guard hairs. Fur doesn't have the rippling, pulsating movement of squirrel hair in the water. And, squirrels are plentiful. Plus, squirrel is some of the best wild meat and their skins are used for caps, coats, glove linings and many other items, but the tail is usually thrown away. We're asking you to help us recycle this valuable resource, AND, we're offering to reward you for your efforts!
NOTE: Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table. We do not advocate taking squirrels strictly for their tails. It is illegal to sell squirrel tails in the states of CA, ID, and OR.
Squirrel Tail Payment Information
Most folks that send us squirrel tails double their value by trading them for Mepps lures. All-in-all, not a bad deal. They get a great day afield and get to enjoy the stew, too. Then they take the part they used to throw away, offer it to us to recycle and we send them Mepps spinners in return. What a deal!
Shipping refunded on 50 tails or more. Ship by UPS or First Class mail only. No refund on insurance charges or service fees charged by independent mailing services.For all good quality tails we pay the following:
- Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails
- 16 ¢ each — under 100
- 19 ¢ each — over 100
- 21 ¢ each — over 500
- 22 ¢ each — over 1000
- Premium Tails
- 20 ¢ each — under 100
- 23 ¢ each — over 100
- 25 ¢ each — over 500
- 26 ¢ each — over 1000
- Red Squirrel Tails (Hair at the base of the tail must be at least 1" long)
- 8 ¢ each — under 100
- 9 ¢ each — over 100
- 10 ¢ each — over 500
- 11 ¢ each — over 1000
Plus, you can double the value of your tails by exchanging them for Mepps lures. Call 800-237-9877 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order or get more details. No other discounts or special offers apply.
How to Submit Your Squirrel TailsPlease follow these instructions carefully:
- Tails are best on squirrels taken after October 1st.
- Do NOT remove the bone from the tail. Deboned and split tails have no value.
- Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.
- Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry in a curled position cannot be used.
- Keep tails away from flies. Best storage is in a freezer. Do not send tails that have been exposed to flies.
- Do not put tails in a plastic bag for storage or shipment. They could heat up and spoil.
- The best time to ship is during cold weather months (Jan, Feb, & Mar). Dried squirrel tails may be shipped anytime.
- Put your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and tail count inside each package.
- Send your tails to:
626 Center St.
Antigo, WI 54409-2496
Squirrel Tail T-shirts
Help spread the word about squirrel tail recycling with our squirrel tail t-shirt!
Gildan 6-ounce 100% Ultra-Cotton preshrunk short sleeve Tees. Texas orange. Double needle stitching. Taped neck and shoulders. Front has a black Mepps logo. Back features Recycle, the Mepps squirrel, with the message, "Hunt Squirrels? Recycle Your Tails." Adult sizes only.
Squirrel Hunting LinksIf a link is broken or you would like to see a site added, please don't hesitate to let us know.
- Black-Powder Bushytails
- Keith Sutton's Hunting and Safety Ethics
- Outdoor Life
- Sports Afield
- Squirrel Dog Central
- World Champion Squirrel Cook Off